How lucky we are to have these modern miracles that enable diabetics to live longer healthier lives.
Good diabetic medication can increase wellbeing and longevity in the diabetic patient. Missed doses are a great area of concern as this plays havoc with glucose levels and sometimes the patient does not admit they have missed a dose to the medical practitioner. Suitable diabetic medicine and regular testing gives good diabetic control. Honesty policy very useful.
Diabetic ketoacidosis. High sugar in the blood which cannot enter cells
- Consistant high blood glucose levels
- Lack of glucose entering body cells so body starts to use fat as alternate source of energy
- This produces acidic ketones
- Ketones are harmful to the body and it tries to flush them out by making the patient thirsty
- If ketone levels continue to rise the patient develops ketoacidosis (vomiting, nausea, dry skin, blurred eyesight and breathing deep and rapid. Can smell pear drops or a nail varnish odour on breath of patient)oh oh we are in trouble, time for action,take this very seriously
- Mainly develops when the diabetic patient is ill, the management involves replacement of fluid and electrolytes and administration of insulin
- Ketones can be tested via a simple urine test available on prescription
- Most diabetics with a good diabetic routine will never reach this but its good to be aware and understand. Swift action ,off to the hospital, could be life saving
Balance and regulate sugar levels with food, activity,drugs or insulin. Regular meals on time, watch that clock, keep the body consistant.
Blood sugar too high